Sunday, August 1, 2010

Around The World In 30? Days

Well we keep getting requests for updates on our adventures over the summer thus far. Oddly enough we are only half way through a very full and hectic summer schedule and yet it feels like a life time since we began back on the 6th of July. Nicki and I had the opportunity to have one of those once in a life time trips which took us half way around the world. On the 5th of July we dropped our beloved children off with Nicki's parents (not easy to do- Nicki cried most of the way home). The morning of the 6th (about 3 1/2 hours before our plane took off) I started packing. Soon we would be boarding a plane that would fly us north over Hudson Bay and cross the southern tip of Greenland and skim the end of Iceland. The flight was long and neither of us slept exceptionally well but before long we could see our first destination. Out the window we could see the Eiffel Tower and the endless mass of low rise apartments that is Paris, France. From here on out I will put pictures with a short description rather than tell the whole story. If necessary we will force anyone who falls victim, to sit and listen and watch our whole cadre of pictures and movies (800 and some odd).
This picture represents one of many videos and pictures of our stop at Le Tour de France. What a perfect start to a great trip. Here is an obligatory picture of the Eiffel Tower. It was much more impressive in person. So as is evident, day 2 was spent in Paris where it was nearly 95 degrees and humid.Here is a panoramic taken from 1/3 of the way up the Eiffel tower.Here is a shot of two sweaty travelers on the Eiffel tower after hiking up the stairs rather than waiting the 3 hours for the elevator.This unexpected find came as a result of a detour off the crowded (and I mean crowded) freeway in Paris on day 3. The Castle Vincennes (roughly interpreted) was great place to get a look at a true castle and a beautiful 17th century cathedral. It had been cleaned inside, and I was amazed at how bright and light it was inside. It was truly beautiful. Next we headed for Versailles, which was impressive and unbelievable.

The previous are a few of MANY shots of Versailles. This represented our last full day in Paris and then our journey crossed the English Channel and landed us in Bristol, England. From here we would drive into Wales to places where it is nearly impossible to spell the names. I will add a few shots here and then hope to update the Wales portion a little later.
Ty Newedd (Ty Neweth)
Waiting for our food in a Pub, the only truly great places to eat along the canals.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man! That looks like a fantastic trip! (well, aside from the heat and humidity) I can't wait to hear more about it. BTW, love that last picture of you guys, lookin' good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed that you could find time to post on the blog. I realized as GG and I were viewing the pictures that we didn't talk much about the trip or even look at any pictures while I was there. These pictures are great. I think we're all agreed that we need to have a "Frank-and-Ralph" picture show. (You might need to practice to get it as good as theirs.) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures, especially the river was that Versaille? So much fun...

    ReplyDelete