Yes it really has been that long since we have posted anything to our site. I would like to say it is because we are so busy, but the real reason, as you know is pure laziness. It isn't like we haven't had things worth posting. We have taken lots of photos and had really cool experiences. I suppose the problem is that we get so caught up in the doing, that we forget to document it. That said, this post is quite self serving. If you haven't found out who does the posting on this site, this post may answer so many of your questions.
Saturday the 26th was our second day at Sugar House Park. Our DAY at the park really began the day before when Andrew informed us at 7:45 am that we were the chaperones for their walk to the park that day. Due to a little misunderstanding (we thought we were helping the following week) we were not prepared. Soon we found ourselves herding a group of third graders who were escorting Pre-K kids to Sugar House Park. The walk was as any parent could imagine. Controlled chaos bounding down the street. Soon we were at the park, and the realization hit that we were in for the long haul. It was 9:45 and we were supposed to be there until 1:30. Holy Cow! Not one to sit around for that long and just watch the kids, I decided to grab the football we brought and go start up a game. Aside from 20 minutes worth of snack and lunch time, I proceeded to throw my arm out playing fly's up with 10 third graders 3 and a half hours. Sounds almost to easy until you consider that they are already nearly as tall as me and that they proceeded to use me as a jungle gym and punching bag. Needless to say, by 1:30 I felt my age. I was tired. It was really quite fun to spend time with Andrew and the boys that he has come to know over the last 9 months of school. Though tired, I was grateful for the insight into who his friends are.
As I started to mention before. Saturday the 26th was our second day at the park. This was a day I have been training for since January. Every year, about this time they hold the Sugar House Criterium which is a bike race around the park. Basically it is a mad dash up and down the hills of the park for 30 minutes. It is the quickest 30 minutes of the whole year for me (at least my heart which spent most of the time in the high 170 bpm's). This year I had a plan in mind and I really tried to stick with it. Part of that plan was to wait in the group until the last few yards and then drop the hammer up the hill to the finish and see how it turned out. Surprisingly, on the last lap, I found myself right where I wanted to be, about 8 guys back off the front coming off the last downhill before the finish. Waiting until the pre-appointed moment, I stomped on the pedals. Quickly I found myself passing people and before I knew it, I realized I was all alone off the front of the group. I wasn't sure how to react. I just lowered my head and jammed the pedals as hard as I could. Everything was going great until I realized that my legs were about to explode. The finish line was less than 25 yards away when I realized that there was someone coming up quickly beside me. I lowered my head again and gave everything I had. I felt like I was pedaling through concrete. It was like one of those dreams where you try to run but can seem to go fast enough to get where you are going. Yet I still was in front by the smallest of margins with 10 yards to go. With less that 2 yards to go I threw my bike forward and was pipped at the line by less than 3 inches. Oh the agony of defeat yet the exhilaration of being so close.
What a fun experience. All of the training paid off in that moment. Hearing the screaming of my family and friends was enough to make it all worth while. After receiving the second place award, Grace was beaming and stated that she wants to race someday like her Daddy. What a boost, to see her every bit as happy as I was at that moment.
WHAT A DAY AT THE PARK! Here are some pictures from the race.




Seems appropriate that Grace gets the medal, too ;)
ReplyDeleteThat rocks!! Looks at those amazing biker legs. :) One day we need to get the families together and do our own family race and include the kids.
ReplyDelete