Throughout this year, I have had occasion to ask my children
what they are thankful for. The purpose
for this exercise was primarily to help
them have ideas of what to be thankful for in their prayers. Additionally, my hope was to help them see
how much they have been truly blessed.
After the first few moments of "I don't know" (the first
required response by all children to their parents), I would then start to get
varied responses. As a parent, your hope
is that the answers will be ground breaking and full of deep meaning. My hope is always that they will pontificate
on the blessing of the gospel and the scriptures in their lives. Also, that they are grateful for the education
they have and the blessing it is to live in a free land. However, the actual answers vary from
"cinnamon toast crunch" and "leaves" to things as amazing
as "family" and "shelter" (they often say those kinds of
things because they think that is what I am hoping they will say). But, when I listen to their sincere prayers,
they are thankful for things like the fact they got to play with friends that
day and they are glad they got to jump on the trampoline or they were grateful
they got to paint pictures. Initially
this is most frustrating, because they obviously don't see the bigger
picture. That's when I realized I wasn't
seeing the bigger picture.
As we get older our view of the world gets broader. We worry about the big things in life. As an example, I use the following
illustration. The other day I was mountain biking in Price, UT with Andrew. I was looking
forward to the time we would be spending together. I wanted to make sure he had a good
time. As we got heading up the trail, I
was worrying about whether he would be able to make it okay, and how long we
were going to be gone. I was, in the
back of my mind, worrying about all the things I still needed to do that
day. Then Andrew pointed out a
grasshopper. Where and who cares I
thought. It was tiny. But in some strange way it was actually
beautiful. This tiny insect which I had
difficulty even seeing, Andrew had seen while we were moving. Andrew was less intrigued with the beautiful
scenery below us as we stood on the mesa.
Rather, it was this really neat insect that drew his attention. Our journey elicited many more findings such
as this.
The point I would like to make in this season of
Thanksgiving, is that we are blessed with so many beautiful things in our
lives. Many of these blessings may be so
small that we fail to see them. As I
deal with the big picture, I often forget what a blessing it is to be
surrounded in a ward and neighborhood, by people who truly bless my life. I recall in a recent conference, being told
to recognize and be grateful for the small things around us. As I pondered this, I realize that it is the
small things like cinnamon toast crunch and playing with friends that really
put the joy in my life. It is those
small moments like a testimony shared by someone at church that lifts my heart
and gives me the hope to carry on through another big picture week. I am grateful for every week of Church and
the testimonies that help lift me up, and the taking of the sacrament. It is my hope that each of us may take an
opportunity to really look at those small things the Lord has blessed us with
that bring us so much joy.
Amen to that.
ReplyDelete